February 13, 2008

You give loaf a bad name

I'd like to say I can't figure out why meatloaf has a bad name, but I used to hate it myself. All you have to do is look at it closely. A bunch of random stuff ground up and mushed together in the shape of a loaf. But if you step away from it for a minute (or close your eyes) you may see it in a new light.

It's one of the few foods you can put all your favorite ingredients into without worrying about proportions (for the most part) and yield a decent end result. It goes with almost all veggie side dishes and you have the flexibility to shape it into whatever you want--a fish, a heart, a high-five. Think about it--it's art, really.

It took me 20-ish years to come to this realization. I can remember being afraid of it. I associated it with cafeterias at homes for the elderly, hospitals and that terrible cooking smell that lingered and penetrated my grandparents house. You know the one, you walk in and, at first, it smells good. Then before you know it you're walking out drenched in food smell; it's inflitrated your hair and every stitch of your clothing. Now, I blame the onions mostly and a lack of good ventilation, but by God, it's a terrible thing. I would request alternate meal options and sometimes not eat at all (save for a few frosted strawberry Pop-Tarts) until one day I decided to try it.

And, look at me now, clearing its name one post at a time. All I ask is that the next time you're looking for a meal idea, consider it (and then let me know how it goes).

Loaves of love,

Jennie

1 comment:

J OConnell said...

I have to admit, I have the best meatloaf recipe ever and it's the easiest thing in the world. A little dried minced onion, garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce and some secret ingredients (can you say, Romano Cheese?). Not a single thing to chop, peel, slice or dice.

Thank you, Meetloaferie, for finally giving meatloaf its due.